- Terminated Customs Notice of Action to advance over $1 million in additional duties claimed by Customs relative to clientís foreign plant cost data submission.
- Reduced country of origin marking penalty from several million dollars to zero.
- Negotiated the release of multiple shipments of merchandise and negotiated de minimis penalties for importation of alleged counterfeit merchandise.
- Successfully obtained a penalty waiver from Customs under SBREFA, potentially saving the client a $2,000,000 to $4,000,000 penalty assessment.
- Obtained the complete release of a shipment of tobacco products seized because the clientís product label allegedly contained an illegal mark, thereby preserving a shipment valued in excess of $100,000 and saving the client tens of thousands of dollars in potential re-branding costs.
- Successful in reducing duty liability by establishing that importer was entitled to $8.3 million freight deduction and reduced duty liability to Customs of $210,000
- Successful recovery for clients from U.S. Customs and Border Protection of several million dollars in monetary instruments and currency seizures.
- Negotiated settlement with the U.S. Department of Labor for trade adjustment assistance for U.S. employees, resulting in education and vocation training funds.
- Successfully defended importerís claims for duty-free status of wearing apparel imported under the African Growth and Opportunity Act (AGOA) provisions, resulting in retained duty savings of over $45,000.
- Represented several importers in audits before U.S. Customs and Border Protection resulting in de minimis duty increases and either de minimis or zero penalties.
- Established Customs import compliance procedures for several importers and conducted in-house training seminars for import managers and other corporate personnel in Customs compliance.
- Obtained antidumping scope determination ruling from the U.S. Department of Commerce, International Trade
Administration, excluding merchandise from antidumping duties on cased pencils from China.
© Hodes Keating & Pilon. All rights reserved.